Observations of a puzzling world

Friday, May 26, 2006

Final report from my hiatus


After the 5 hours and 13 minute smelly feet experience, I enjoyed a week of R & R courtesy of the good people and good weather on the west coast. Typical to west coast form, I observed a broad spectrum of activities, ranging from extreme hippy culture to 5 star west coast dining. On my way back, I had a shorter flight – only 4 hours. Don’t ask me to explain why – apparently it has something to do with wind, but I think that the pilot was just speeding. On the way back I had a seat with a built-in satellite TV in front of me. 24 channels to keep me busy for the entire time! Now, I was taking this flight at midnight, so the “in flight entertainment” didn’t get switched on for an hour or so. Think back to the last time you turned on the TV at 1am. Was there anything worthwhile on TV? Anything that kept your attention and kept you from dosing off? There are only two types of shows on TV at that time – commercials for telephone chat lines and infomercials. Now I thought satellite TV would be exempt from this because it uses space-age technology to beam the TV signal to the plane. I was wrong – all that there was, on these 24 channels was commercials for chat lines and infomercials. Which is really a total waste since you can’t make calls from the plane anyway. Catch 22.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home