Observations of a puzzling world

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Back from my hiatus

Yes indeed – I am back and am ready to report on my adventures away. I like this word hiatus, but didn’t really know what it meant. Thanks to wiktionary – here are the definitions:

Singular: hiatus
Plural: hiatus or hiatuses
1. A break or pause.
2. A gap in a series, making it incomplete.
3. (linguistics) A pause between same vowels at the end and the beginning of a word, as in "co'operation".
4. A gap in geological strata.
5. A fissure in a bone.
6. A small difference in pitch between two musical tones.

I am pleased to report that my hiatus falls under definition #1, although when I am singing I fall under definition #6. The most important lesson here is that the plural of hiatus is not hiati (as I would expect it to be). Please share this knowledge with the world today, and be ready for amusing stories from my hiatus in the coming days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home