Observations of a puzzling world

Friday, May 12, 2006

Laundry Day

Yesterday was my weekly laundry day – and although it seems like a pretty regular chore, doing laundry actually requires quite a bit of planning. Apart from making sure that the red sock doesn’t end up in the white laundry (I don’t actually own any red socks), I have to strategize on what I will wash when. I usually have 2 loads of laundry – but I don’t have a lot of extra items. I have to wash my sheets in the first load of laundry so that I can have them clean and smelly April fresh by the time I head to bed. I also have to allow enough time for laundry – if I start it too late, I’ll have to wait well past the Daily Show for everything to be dry. The worst thing about laundry is starting it too late and then waiting for the dryer to finish its thing. It’s like watching a pot boil! I sometimes think about how easy a task doing the laundry is. I don’t know what happens in the washing machine, or what magic causes the dirt to just disappear, but it’s so easy. If we were pioneers we would have to use a washboard – which I’ve only seen used as an instrument during a ho-down. But my least favorite thing about laundry is the lint. What is lint? Where is it coming from? Why does lint only show itself in the dryer? And why is it always grey? Unanswerable questions!

2 Comments:

  • I just bought a lint brush.

    Sometimes, when I wash my clothes, I stand there with the washer lid open and watch to make sure it's doing it right. But then I get hypnotized and can't look away... until it wants to do the spin cycle and i'm forced to close it.

    By Blogger Vanessa, at 9:08 AM  

  • I found a great product that makes doing laundry easier and quicker. It has also saved me money. I bought these Dryer Balls from www.simplygoodstuff.com and they work great. You use them instead of dryer sheets in the dryer and they eliminate the need for fabric softener all together. My clothes come out fluffier and with less wrinkles. The best part about these dryer balls is that it takes less time to dry clothes. Check it out!

    By Blogger Factory Express, at 6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home