Observations of a puzzling world

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Thanksgiving

It is now autumn – well I guess it was “officially” autumn several days ago. But now that all the trees are losing their leaves and rakes are flying off of the store shelves, it is official. One nice thing about autumn is Thanksgiving – which apparently is this weekend (in Canada – for all the US readers, of which there might be 1). The other day when I expressed my shock at it already being another long weekend, I was told by a colleague that “it is early this year”. Which got me to thinking – who makes the decision on when Thanksgiving is? Is there a committee, special council, or task force? Because if so, I’d like to nominate myself to be part of that group. I think I’d be quite good at deciding when Thanksgiving should be. Of course I’d leave the decision to the last minute, just to keep everyone on their toes. So when people are out in their yards, cursing the trees for shedding so many leaves … or when they are turning up their thermostats and making their beds with their winter duvets … I’d get on all the TV stations and say “here is something to brighten your weekend – take an extra day off – we’ll make it the Thanksgiving holiday on Monday!” Who says tax cuts and healthcare spending make people happy – give them a holiday out of the blue – that’s the way to win their hearts!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home