Observations of a puzzling world

Monday, December 04, 2006

Clementines

I bought some oranges last week ... correction, I bought some "clementines" yesterday - and was quite impressed that this variety of citrus fruit comes in a wooden crate. It just seems so "general store" like to purchase produce in a wooden crate. Rather wasteful though - I've been trying to dissect my wooden crate to determine what type of wood it is made out of. I haven't figured out the mystery though - but the wood is extremely flammable (that I learned with the help of a gas stove). Imagine how the carpentry school dropouts who make these crates must feel when they learn that we don't even reuse the crates but just toss them into the recycling bin. These clementines only come to the shops during the holiday season - but they are accompanied by other orange-like fruit like mandarin oranges. I'm not sure what it is about these fancy oranges, but they are somewhat snobby. The clementines come in a wooden crate, and the mandarin oranges are individually wrapped in a thin green piece of paper. I've seen some mandarin oranges individually wrapped in plastic bags. They sure want to differentiate themselves from the lower class naval orange!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home