Observations of a puzzling world

Monday, February 12, 2007

Long time no blog...


Hello readers!

Yes I know that it has been a VERY long time since I posted a message here. As you maybe aware, I’ve relocated to the lovely city of Calgary! I have so much to write… but will start by explaining why I haven’t blogged. I’ve got this incredibly energy conscious roommate that seems to think it is a waste of electricity to leave the modem plugged in. I mean really – why leave it plugged in when you’re not using it … it’s not like anyone else in the house requires access to the web! Honestly…so just about any time I want to use my computer, there is no internet connection. Additionally my roommate sleeps about 20 hours a day, and the modem is in her room. So that explains that.

Needless to say I am looking for a place of my own – but this time as a home owner, not a renter. The search continues … let me tell you that the novelty of visiting homes when the temperature is -20 degrees and snow is falling wears off awfully quickly. Everyone think happy thoughts so that I can find my own place soon (and remain connected to the web!).

As my first observation about this booming city … the people are a rather confusing breed. As with most other cities, there are lots of large vehicles in which people commute individually. Saving petrol (or the environment through emissions) is not a high priority since gas is relatively cheap compared to elsewhere in the country. But nearly every home that I’ve visited makes use of high efficiency fluorescent light bulbs. I don’t really get why the choice is made to conserve electricity but not anything else. OH – and they don’t recycle here! It’s so awful. There are no blue boxes anywhere, so everything literally gets thrown in the garbage. If you want to recycle – you have to take things yourself to the recycling depots. Madness!

So that’s it for now … and I promise to post messages much more frequently. I hope all is well and thank you for reading :)

2 Comments:

  • Hey MJ I hope your enjoying my city and that your transition and move have gone smoothly. Take care and keep in touch.

    By Blogger A Shizzle, at 9:29 AM  

  • thank you so much for posting! im so glad to hear things are moving for you! And that you are getting a new home! By the way - the accident sounds really harrowing - I'm glad you're safe, and I hope the emotional scars are diminishing!

    By Blogger twm, at 7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home