Observations of a puzzling world

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Is it time for a bear patrol?

I can't say that my job is boring ... because there is something unexpected that happens just about every day. I guess that's what happens when you work with the public ... but last week there was something VERY unexpected that happened at my workplace. Late at night, a special visitor came into the building - a black bear in fact. The full story can be read here. Sadly I was not in the office at the time when the bear came in, but apparently he just walked by the coffee kiosk (which was closed), and then was on his way. If I was around, I would have run down to the cafeteria and brought him a coffee, first to be a good host, but also because if that bear made the effort to come into the hospital to the coffee kiosk, he must have been really needing a caffeine fix. I'm sure no one told him about the drive-thru Tim Hortons down the road. Naturally the days following the "bear incident" there as chatter everywhere about being prepared for unexpected visits to the hospital, what would happen if the bear got aggressive? The discussion reminds me of the Simpsons episode where there is a Bear Patrol instituted following a bear strolling into Springfield. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a patrol of our own soon. Yesterday as I was walking into the office, there were a few fine upstanding members of "protection services" (that's fancy talk for security guards) talking about other potential animal attacks. According to these fine upstanding public servants, bears are not the issue - in all seriousness - cheetah's and jaguars are really what we need to be looking out for! Clearly we are wiser than the residents of Springfield!

1 Comments:

  • can i sell you a $5 rock to protect you from tigers?

    goilh: where bad bears are sent

    By Blogger Matthew, at 12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home