Observations of a puzzling world

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Ice Cream Novelties

I bought a fudgsicle yesterday – because the most fun way to eat ice cream is on a stick. I rarely see adults eating popsicles, and I don’t really understand why. What is so exciting about eating ice cream from a cup with a spoon? That’s for cereal and soup – not for ice cream. While I was eating this fudgsicle I read on the package that it is an “ice cream novelty”. I’m not really sure what that means – why is it a novelty? Ice cream on a stick isn’t really a new concept. I used to always eat fudgsicles when I was young. I remember that they had the endorsement of “Popsicle Pete”. After you eat up your ice cream, at the tip of the wooden stick there would be a certain number of Pete Points branded into the wood. If you collected enough points you could get cool prizes. You needed something like 100,000 points to get a baseball hat. Not quite attainable when you’d only get 1 or 2 points per popsicle. I never knew anyone who redeemed the points for anything - but imagine the job of the point counter over at the popsicle factory. All those multi-colored sticky wooden popsicle sticks that they have to count to make sure that the kids actually ate their fare share of popsicles. Now that’s a dream job!

1 Comments:

  • I remember those!!! Yeah I never thought of the poor souls who had to handle the used sticks. I can't remember where I used to keep mine...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home