Observations of a puzzling world

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Flying objects

There are mysterious things flying through the air at all times. I don’t mean UFO’s or reconnaissance planes. Those are mysterious items that are recognizable. But there are other things that fly through the air that completely freak me out. Bats are flying objects that scare me every time that I see them. Flying squirrels are just strange and I don’t really understand why they fly. But every now and again I encounter something flying that is completely unexpected. I was at a café when I felt sometime prickly and crusty fly through the air and land on the back my neck. I thought – thick dried leaf or maybe even cactus thorn (always wear eye protection around cacti because of flying thorns!). But when I shook off the flying object it fell to the ground I saw what it was – a GIANT GREEN grasshopper (it actually looked like the one in this photo). The nerve of that grasshopper landing on me and giving me the heebie jeebies! For the rest of my lunch the grasshopper was staring at me and plotting to jump back onto my shoulder (I’m convinced of it). I think he was looking to hitch a ride out of the city. Lazy grasshopper.

2 Comments:

  • ah, the real return. so nice to have a way to begin work

    By Blogger Matthew, at 7:14 AM  

  • HA! A flying squirrel jumped into our tent this weekend! It even hung around for a while.

    By Blogger Vanessa, at 1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home