Observations of a puzzling world

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Yoghurt

As I ate a cup of yoghurt (not the nasty jam on the bottom style) yesterday I had the following thoughts:
* Yoghurt is a really weird name
* It’s full of bacteria – edible bacteria
* It has a strange consistency. Not quite ice cream and not quite pudding (don’t get me started on the weirdness of pudding)
* It comes in little cups – and eating stuff that is predetermined portions is so much more fun than having to figure it out on my own
* It has a really long fridge life (the yoghurt I bought two weeks ago doesn’t expire until the start of August). Think of all the fun the bacteria is having in those little cups for all that time.

But in addition to my own thoughts on yoghurt I thought I would share some cold-hard facts about yoghurt (courtesy of the good people at wikipedia):
* The earliest yoghurts (circa 3000 BCE) were probably spontaneously fermented, perhaps by wild bacteria residing inside goat skin bags used for transportation (yikes!)
* The word derives from the Turkish yoğurt deriving from the adjective 'yoğun', which means "dense" and "thick” (interesting!)
* Yoghurt with added fruit marmalade was invented (and patented) in 1933 in Prague (smart!)
* If you are adventurous and don’t mind breeding bacteria (consciously) in your own kitchen, you can make your own yoghurt. Instructions are here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home