Observations of a puzzling world

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Trip to the grocery store

Yesterday on my way home I decided to visit the grocery store to pick up a few items. Now I know this breaks one of the cardinal rules of life – do not shop for groceries when you are hungry. Apparently you are more likely to buy a whole bunch of stuff that you don’t need if you shop while you’re hungry. I bought some ziplock bags that it turned out I didn’t need because I already had a tonne… but I don’t think that counts. After work the store is packed and you have to be strategic in going through so that you don’t get too trapped in the crowds. I went to one of those giant grocery stores with 30 checkout lines and at least 5 express lines (my favorite). So there I am standing in the express line of 8 items or less when I realize that one of the people in front of me in line has a shopping cart. Now that is always a negative sign because why would you need a shopping cart if you have 8 items of less. Maybe if you were buying 8 crates of bottled water, or 8 watermelons, but not otherwise. So of course the person has more than 8 items, but no one says anything because she’s already at the front of the line and is unloading her items on the conveyer belt. After the checkout girl scans about 20 items of this truant lady, she has to do a price check. One lady in front of me just opened her bag of pretzels and started snacking while we were waiting for the price check. I then started to rethink my whole grocery store visit. Darn those ziplock bags!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home