Observations of a puzzling world

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Time to stretch...

With the Academy Awards now wrapped up, I feel the need to assess movies ‐ in particular their length. The very first thing I do when I get a new film is check out how long it is. I need to plan my viewing accordingly. Some films are acceptable (Crash was 113 minutes), while others are a bit short (Wallace and Gromit was 85 minutes). But I would much rather watch a film that is on the shorter side than a long one. If the film is over 2 hours, I cannot watch it in the theater ‐ its just simply too long to sit in one place. Very few films are so gripping that they can keep my attention for more than 2 hours. Those films I opt to watch at home, but there are still the exceptions that I cannot get through in a single sitting. I have watched 2 hours of the Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Rings, with another hour or so to go. I had to stop at 2 hours ‐ it was just getting to be too much of one film all at once. Unless a film has a large variety of things going on, I cannot sit through it. I need a good mix of singing, dancing, laughing, crying, running and hiding (a la Bollywood film ‐ but even some of those are too long) to keep me watching for the entire time. Perhaps if for long films there was an intermission in the theater where they lead you through some chair yoga, then I could sit through a long film.


Tags: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home