Observations of a puzzling world

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Is he asleep?

I had heard about this before, but I never believed it. Seems preposterous – sleeping with your eyes open! Wouldn’t your eyeballs dry out? Don’t eyelid muscles need a rest as well? I refused to believe such a thing was true until I was sitting in a lecture theatre listening to someone speaking at the front on a stage. I remember checking my watch to see how much time had passed – only 15 minutes. I then noticed this lovely floral arrangement on the side of the stage. After what seemed like only seconds – I glanced at my watch again and noticed an additional 20 minutes had gone by! What happened during that time? I know that I didn’t close my eyes … so there are two possible explanations: the flowers hypnotized me, or I was asleep with my eyes open. According to the BBC, sleepwalkers are technically asleep, but they have their eyes open and appear to be awake. I must be the laziest sleepwalker – I’ll sleep with my eyes open while sitting in a chair. Walking around while sleeping just seems counterproductive.

Tags: ,

2 Comments:

  • you were probably passed out and snoring, but nobody had the heart to tell you...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:05 PM  

  • can you teach me how to sleep-learn greek?

    By Blogger Matthew, at 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home