Observations of a puzzling world

Thursday, February 23, 2006

I'm taking the stairs

When you have got to go up a few stories in a building, do you wait for the elevator or do you take the stairs? If it is a building I have never been to before, I take the elevator – but then every other time I take the stairs. I do not have the patience to wait for the elevator, and in the elevator I detest the awkward silence … seems like the perfect place to strike up a conversation, but for some reason people prefer to stare at the floor numbers changing. Those remind me of a bingo board, except its much more predictable. Dr. Marla Shapiro recommends always taking the stairs no matter where you are going. Apparently it’s good for your health. The other day I climbed 5 flights of stairs – definitely didn’t feel my health benefiting. The worst part of climbing several flights of stairs is the extremely winded and exhausted look and feeling that you have at the end. There is always the need to hide this because you need to look perfect for all the strangers that you encounter once you exit the stairwell. But taking the stairs down several flights is another story. It’s so easy and effortless – you can even slide down the banister! It can be a challenge to see how fast you can run down the stairs, until you miss a step and tumble down and get a fat lip. At least you don’t have to deal with the unfriendly people in the elevator.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home