Observations of a puzzling world

Friday, March 10, 2006

Spell that sound!

I can hear a sound , but how do I translate it to paper? It is easy to say, “He was snoring,” but how about if the snore was really bizarre, and simply saying “snoring” doesn’t do the snore justice? How do you articulate that on paper? Often when reading the daily comics I see “Zzzzzzzz” – but I personally have never heard that noise coming from a person sleeping. That is the sound I’d expect a bee to make – but it certainly doesn’t come across as snoring to me. We are used to dogs going “woof woof” but in Mexico they say “guau guau”. Is that because the dogs are barking in Spanish, or with an accent? I’m pretty sure dogs make the same noises everywhere – but then you never know. Look at these written sounds and decide for yourself if these are the noises animals make:

* Bird: Tweet Tweet (English), Chunchun (Japanese), Kvitt Kvitt (Swedish)
* Frog: Ribbit (English), Kre-Kre (Croatian), Kwa Kwa (Hebrew)
* Horse: Neigh (English), Hoho (Icelandic), I-go-go (Russian)
* Duck: Quack Quack (English), Coin Coin (French), Mak Mak (Albanian)


Tags:

1 Comments:

  • my ESL students taught me that the words for the sounds the animals make are often the names for the animals or their meat, in Cantonese. hm.

    ltilfx: inexpensive sound or visual effects in movies.

    By Blogger Matthew, at 12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home