Observations of a puzzling world

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Cool kids

Browsing through a shopping mall points out the obvious differences between you and those that used to be you. I thought I was still “with it” until I was enlightened by a young person at the huge age gap between us. She directed me to Zoey 101, a show about “tweens” at boarding school. In observing the young people in this show I was astonished at how grown up they act compared to when I was their age. Examples:

* They eat sushi, I ate fish sticks.
* They wear Prada backpacks. I had a vinyl backpack with this space age material known as Velcro (oooohhhh Velcro!)
* They have a coffee bar in their school. We had 15 cent milk cartons (No low-fat or soy options).
* They each have their own laptops with wireless Internet connections. We had to pass notes in class and risk getting caught.
* They go to a boarding school on the California Coast. I went to an Alberta elementary school that was named after a local cowboy hero.
* They each have their own cell phones. We had to shout at each other across the playing field.

At this rate, what will the next generation of “tweens” be like? More importantly ‐ will I ever be hip and happenin' again? I can't believe the novelty of Velcro has worn off.

Tags: ,

1 Comments:

  • Prada backpacks and cell phones still won't make them even 5% as cool as the bayside gang! Who can forget Zach's real cellular phone??? Goooooo bbbayside :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home