Observations of a puzzling world

Sunday, February 12, 2006

World Records - Part 2

I don’t understand the world record phenomenon. Recently someone sat in a chair for something like 68 hours straight, and is now the world’s best couch potato. Is this really something you want to be proud of? Is this a legacy you leave for your kids? Ya my great grandfather was the worlds laziest guy. Look, this book documents it. And I don’t understand why people set these records just for their own satisfaction. How satisfying is it to know that you can allow bees to fly up your nose? Maybe it’s a conversation starter? These people are so desperate for friends that they will sit in a chair for 4 days until they set a record of doing so. Then at parties when they are sitting in chairs (or wearing bees), someone will say – hey you look familiar ... You’re the world record guy! I’m sure that happens to all world record holders.

1 Comments:

  • mj! Your blog is the reason I get out of bed in the morning!

    Striving to be a world record holder is definitely all about talking about it later at parties, or to end a long/awkward period of silence. I often bring up/display my ability to whistle the Israeli national anthem, tap my toes, snap my fingers, all while I flare my nostrils to the tune, to fill such a period of silence. And while I have never won a record or medal for my feat, when the conversation turns to what provoked me to learn to do this talent, I begin with “well, this one time at band camp...” Anywho, gotta jet, I’m in the midst of adding a hula hoop to my little routine!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home