Observations of a puzzling world

Friday, February 10, 2006

Riders take your mark...

A question for the ages … when you hear the subway chime, do you run to sneak in through the closing doors, or do you wait for the next train? The chime is like a starters pistol for some – they dart for the subway cart as soon as they hear the chime. It was meant to let riders know that the doors are closing. It is not a conductor shouting “ALL ABOARD” – but it’s also not a deterrent to run into the train.

I often see people sneaking into the train just as the doors are about to close – but usually they are super petite and can manage to fit through the tiny gap between the doors, or are large and stalwart and can pull apart the doors with their massive arms. I am neither petite nor stalwart, but I thought I would take my chances and dart during the chime. I almost made it through, but my backpack got stuck in the door and it was a serious struggle to be released from the evil grip of the doors. In discussing this with my daily commuting friend Luis, he recounted his experience with running during the chime. When on the subway, he noticed a woman running for the closing doors. Unfortunately the only part of her that made it into the train was her face (not even her entire head). The doors closed on her cheeks (ouch!). To prevent such embarrassment in front of complete strangers, as well as damage to my cheeks, I will wait for the next train.

1 Comments:

  • Although I can't say that I've ever gotten my face caught between subway doors, I have had my very large knapsack stuck while I was dashing in before the doors closed many years ago. Those were the days when I carried a lot of books and still thought that through diffusion, knowledge would be somehow transfered from the books to my brain. Anyways, the subways had a fierce grip on my bag, and I couldn't yank it free. Then to my surprise, two men came to my rescue! One was a well dressed man in a suit, and the other, a blue color worker (or so he looked). They got on either side, and pulled the doors apart with a mighty effort. Two people from different walks of life, coming together in a common goal to help a stranger! Chivelry may be dead, but that little act reaffirmed that perhaps some people still bother to help when they can.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home