Observations of a puzzling world

Thursday, August 10, 2006

The witchy woman

After my baking experience on the beach, I decided that the sun and I should spend some time apart. Luckily on the promenade in Nice there were several covered bench areas where I could relax and still enjoy a great view. For a number of days I spent several hours in the shade, dividing my time between people watching, beach watching, and reading. Other than the men in speedos (which I have already covered) and leathery skinned topless women, the most interesting people that I observed were those that spent several hours on the same set of benches that I was sitting on. There were two people in particular – crossword puzzle man, and witchy woman. Every day that I visited the benches crossword puzzle man was working on a giant French crossword puzzle. I hadn’t seen this type before – it was two pages wide and had pictures of celebrities. Strange. Witchy woman was a really old lady (at least mid 80’s) with long dyed black (really black) hair, dark framed glasses, and a hippie-style beanie hat. Clearly the hair made her witchy and not the hat … but every person that walked by her gave her a double take. So there I sat with crossword puzzle man and witchy woman about three times on different days. They got so used to me that they gave me a nod each day when I was leaving. I wonder if they had any name for me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home