Observations of a puzzling world

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Paris the un-PC city

One thing remarkable about Paris - other than the outstanding art, architecture and culture, was how politically incorrect the city is. Accessibility means very little - which I realized after climbing my millionth stair to a tourist attraction. Ramps are my friend, and I sorely missed them while in Paris. There are also very few automatic doors or doors with the push-button opening. That makes me use my arms for crying out loud! You can't snooze on the commuter trains because they don't hollar out the stops along the way. Everything is really narrow so people more than 12 inches wide have a tricky time getting around. This photo is from the Centre Pompidou and it really needs no explanation of the un-PC'ness. We in North America know how to live - moving sidewalks and escalators, automatic doors, train stop announcements and wide corridors. Why should I have to walk, use my arms and listen when I don't really have to?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home