Observations of a puzzling world

Friday, August 04, 2006

Riding the metro...part deux

Some of you may remember my post about running for the subway doors when you hear the chime ring. That chime is supposed to mean that the doors are closing so “stand clear”. Riding the subway this week I heard the announcer repeat, “stand clear of the doors” several times. On the Paris metro things were very different. First, some of the trains required the doors to be opened by the subway riders, using this complicated handle. I of course couldn’t figure out how to open the door so I needed assistance. You can’t be a passive rider on the Paris metro – it’s a very engaging activity. Then when you get into the train and the doors are about to close a very loud and annoying buzzing noise sounds for about 4 seconds, and the doors rapidly close. When I say rapidly – I mean if your hand (or any other extremity) is between the doors they will likely be chopped off. It might have something to do with France’s guillotine past? That there is a sticker beside each metro train door that indicates staying clear of the doors – with an animated rabbit getting caught. I guess the message from this must be that we’re serious about closing the doors – but we still know how to be fun. (Click on the image to enlarge it to get the full effect).

1 Comments:

  • i remember being so nervous about using the doors and thinking that maybe these heavy metal doors woud slam on me. ahh paris!

    By Blogger twm, at 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home