Observations of a puzzling world

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Level 5 Security

I purchased a new bottle of vitamins yesterday and was overwhelmed by the amount of security that accompanied the pills. First there is the sealed box that comes with a branded serial number. You have to tear open the box to get at the bottle. Next there is the plastic ring that surrounds the cap of the bottle. Everywhere it says “Pull here” to open it up – although I don’t find any tab to pull, and end up having to use a pair of scissors to get the plastic ring off. Following that there is the childproof cap. Once I have all my arrows aligned and get the cap open, I encounter another obstacle - the glued-on tin foil that makes the bottle “Sealed for my protection”. Unlike a cup of yogurt, there is absolutely no place on the foil to pull it off. After slicing through that with a knife, I reach the cotton wool. Finally after pulling out a pound of cotton – I get to my vitamins. This whole ordeal makes me think about why such security is necessary. Who is getting inside these bottles and sabotaging the vitamins? What scandalous areas are these bottles going to before they end up at the pharmacy? And more importantly, why would someone want to break into bottles of vitamins? I’m pretty sure my shampoo comes from the same place and goes through the same processing – why isn’t there such security with my 2 in 1?


Tags: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home