Observations of a puzzling world

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Just for walkers?

Is the sidewalk just for walkers? It does have the word “walk” in it – so I would say yes. But I’m a reasonable person, so I’ll allow any people whose feet are coming into contact with the ground for transportation to use the sidewalk (i.e. joggers and runners). And those that are legitimately using a wheelchair or scooter, and babies in strollers. But that’s it. No one else should be on the sidewalk unless they fit into the above categories. As you have probably guessed, I have put a lot of thought into this. It’s because yesterday I was nearly run over by a cyclist riding on the sidewalk. Now it was not as though the cyclist was out to get me. I was walking diagonally across the sidewalk to go to the entrance of a building, and didn’t shoulder check. Otherwise I would have seen the cyclist coming down the neighboring side of the sidewalk. I apologized for getting in his way, but then I thought that I really shouldn’t have. After looking at the street I realized there were several cyclists on the sidewalk – and on this street there is a bike lane in either direction! I don’t understand this – the bicycle to me is a vehicle and belongs on the street and not where people are walking. But since these cyclists feel the need maintain their own safety by not riding on the street, and put the safety of pedestrians at risk – I guess I should take proper precautions. I think I’ll fashion a hat that has a built in rear view mirror with turn signals on the back. That way I can see what’s behind me, alert people of my direction of walking, AND protect myself from harmful UV rays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home