Observations of a puzzling world

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Haggling

Yesterday Luis told me a story of his mother bargaining at a garage sale – and in the end managed to negotiate a price $1 lower than the asking price for a pair of skates. End price, $2. I’m embarrassed to negotiate on something I already feel is well priced. If I could negotiate a price at a department store, then it would be worth it. But for something that is clearly well below the retail price I’d have to pay, I just pay it. I don’t see the need to haggle to save anything less than $5. But I know people who will bargain for less than $1, and if the seller doesn’t budge, they don’t buy the item. It’s only a difference of $1 … but apparently bargaining is such a craft, the bargainer will not concede defeat. When traveling to a tropical country, apparently the hand woven baskets which take young girls (who are too poor to go to school) days to weave are far too overpriced. So negotiate away! I’d never last in Tijuana – the merchants would be able to retire with the prices I’d be willing to pay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home