Observations of a puzzling world

Monday, May 01, 2006

Lottery Prize Division

This past week the Lotto Super 7 was estimated at a “Super” $30 million. So of course I started fantasizing about all of the great things I could buy, and all of the people I could help with all that money. Now I know my chances of winning were only 1 in 14 million, but I felt compelled to pool my birth date, and the dates of all my family member’s birth together into a ticket. I was so driven to purchase my lottery ticket that I even bore the embarrassment of being asked for identification (to verify I am over 19 – how flattering) at the ticket counter. Yesterday, the day after the big draw, I checked my numbers with anticipation. Surprise surprise – I won absolutely nothing. Not only did I win nothing, I didn’t get a single number out of 7. I believe that is called losing. But what I found appalling was the prize breakdown of all the secondary prizes. For matching 7/7 numbers, you win $30 million. For matching 6/7 numbers, plus the bonus number (essentially 7/8 numbers) the prize is only $55 thousand. How is this fair!?! What a huge difference! I thought it would at least be a million, or $100 thousand is fair – but this is just ridiculous. So I am abandoning the Lotto Super 7 – I don’t mind the poor odds of winning (because I at least have a chance), but the prize breakdown I just can’t handle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home