Observations of a puzzling world

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Beans

Yet another research study that I don’t quite understand – researchers in Venezuela have discovered the bacteria responsible for preparing fart-free beans. You read correctly – these people are interested in flatulence. Now I know there are various sciences that attract different types of people. I myself was teased as an engineer who took the magnificent work of other engineers and decided what color to paint it (if only that was my job – hot pink would have the ultimate comeback!). But really – flatulence? What is so attractive of this body of science? Apparently these researchers found that adding particular bacteria to black beans before cooking make them less likely to cause flatulence. I don’t want to know the experimental procedure that was involved. If they asked study participants to keep track of their “experiences”, there is no way they got a straight answer. And having the participants in a lab setting - measuring the output would be down right unpleasant. While I’m sure this study will help to prevent many unpleasant situations in the future, the saddest thing is that Bart Simpson’s song of “Beans beans the musical fruit” is no longer valid.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home