Observations of a puzzling world

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Probiotics

I think this whole new probiotic culture product fad is such a sham! Now you’re probably wondering what I’m talking about and why I’m so blunt about it. Let me take a step back … several dairy products are advertising the inclusion of probiotic culture in their product. Examples are yogurt and milk beverage. Probiotic cultures are live bacterial strains used for intestinal health. Sounds well and good – and really I have no issue with these bacteria. I appreciate bacteria – they often do very good work (like make tasty cheese). But advertising that eating probiotic products for 14 days will make you feel so much better –without telling you why you will feel better - is just wrong. If you’ve ever seen any of these ads, there is no indication of what the probiotics help you with. There are just people dancing around and eating yogurt. Does it help you dance better? You should have learned yesterday that the Itsy Bitsy Spider-Man can help you with that – no need to eat yogurt. But really probiotics are going to help out your intestine – and likely you won’t notice it so directly, so you won’t dance around in joy. So unless these probiotic product makers are going to say directly – “It’s going to help your intestine, and this is how…” – I’m not buying it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home