Observations of a puzzling world

Monday, October 30, 2006

Permanent plants

Do you have any permanent plants in your house? Not fake, false, or “faux”, but permanent. I’m a fan of permanent plants – they require very little attention and always look fabulous. In my university lab, we had permanent trees that stayed green year round, even though we had them indoors and our lab was in the basement. I started thinking about permanent plants about a year ago. There is one house close to the subway station that I pass by every day that always has flowers in bloom. At first I thought they were excellent gardeners, until I realized that the flowers never change, and are in bloom even in the winter. These people actually planted plastic flowers into their garden. They even rotate them - replacing daisies with roses, and then the roses with lilies. At first I thought it was a ridiculous idea – why plant fake flowers? It looks ridiculous! But now I’m beginning to appreciate the permanent flowers. They are always looking great, no matter what the weather. On a frigid day when all the leaves are falling off of the trees and winter is peering around the corner, these flowers are still in bloom. I have no idea what thoughts are going through the mind of the people who are planting these … and while my first instinct is to think they are psychos, I’ll go with the notion that they just want people to enjoy a blooming flower.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home