Observations of a puzzling world

Thursday, March 23, 2006

How shocking!


That’s it – there is nothing in this world that surprises me. It’s sad really – but I don’t think that there is anything that has shock value remaining. Everything shocking has already been done. I was watching the Antiques Roadshow a while back where they showed an old advertisement for Coca Cola that was scandalous because the model holding the bottle of Coke was exposing her ankle! Shocking for the time – but not so much anymore. But as I flip through magazines, watch television ads, and observe people on the street – I don’t think that I can be shocked any more. People have bolts in their noses, openly talk about problems with their GI tracts, and wear clothes that expose more than their ankles. I wonder if we will ever go in reverse, and that which used to be normal will become shocking. You’re drinking regular coffee and not a grande, non fat, two shot latte? Risque! Is that sandwich made with Wonder Bread? I’m stunned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home